Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is most dangerous and frightening condition in infants in which a child mysteriously dies suddenly in his/her sleep.
Even though it is very rare condition, being a parent you should be aware of it and lower its risk as much as possible.
If you have no idea about how to lower the risk of SIDS, here are few useful tips for you.
- Many pediatric experts believe that children sleeping on their stomach are at increased risk of developing SIDS. Even placing your baby on their sides is also not good idea. So, make your baby sleep on their back, whether it is day time or nights.
- Dress your baby in fitted clothing during their bed time. Ensure that your baby doesnâ€™t get too warm during their sleep. Always keep room temperatures of your baby that you as an adult can feel comfortable even wearing a short T-shirt.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol or drug when you are pregnant. Avoid exposing your baby to secondhand smoke that can increase their risk of SIDS.
- Breastfeeding can help your baby long way to reduce the risk of SIDS. So, prefer breastfeeding for your baby as much as possible.
- Let your baby to sleep with a pacifier during their first year of life. However, if your baby rejects it, donâ€™t force them to keep it.