Posted on Jul 10, 2007 | Comments 1
As you know that teeth development is a very natural process, it is a painful and difficult situation for every infant.
The first set of baby teeth are also called as milk-teeth and they are twenty in number.
Baby teeth usually appear in pairs.
Teeth of the lower jaw generally precede the corresponding ones of the upper.
The first of the baby teeth generally appear about the sixth or seventh months and the last of the set at various periods from the twentieth to thirtieth month.
The process varies for child-to-child. The periods and the order in which the teeth begin to appear are different. Baby teeth period is the most critical period of childhood. It becomes a very important to an anxious and affectionate mother, how this difficulty can be diminished.
Management of the infant while teething without difficulty:
If your baby is of a healthy constitution, which has been naturally fed upon your breast milk, the symptoms while beginning baby teeth are mildest kind. At this condition the management of your baby is most simple and easy.
Mild symptoms while beginning baby teeth:
- Increased flow of saliva
- Swelling and heat of the gums
- Flushing of the cheeks
- Fretful and restlessness
- Looseness of the bowels
- Slight fever
- Your child frequently thrusts his fingers
- Frequent awakenings in sleep
- Chin rash
- Cold symptoms in rare case
- Chewing and gnawing
Treatment when starting baby teeth:
The treatment of the infant in this case is very simple.
- Expose your child much in the open air and well exercised.
- The bowels should be kept freely open with castor oil, and be always gently relaxed at this time.
- Employ cold sponging daily, and rub the surface of the body until it becomes dry with as rough a flannel as the delicate skin of the child will bear; friction being very useful.
- Feed your child more frequently, but not for long at a time, so that the gums kept moist and relaxed, and their irritation soothed, without the stomach being overloaded.
- You should avoid all stimulant foods and drinks during the time of your baby teeth.
- When the appearance of baby teeth begins, pressure on the gums will found to be agreeable to your child, by numbing the sensibility and dulling the pain.
- For this purpose coral is usually used, or a piece of orris-root, or scraped liquorice root; a flat ivory ring. However it is far safer and better. It wonâ€™t cause any danger of its being thrust into the eyes or nose.
- Gently rub the gums with your clean finger.
- Dip the liquorice-root, and other substances, into honey, or powdered sugar-candy and give it to your child to suck. It provides some relief while growing baby teeth. Avoid constant use of sweet and stimulating ingredients. Because they are injurious to the stomach.
Posted in: Health & Safety