There are two schools of thought here: some mothers will swear that they ate everything under the sun when breastfeeding and their babies suffered no adverse effects.
In fact they claim that having a variety of foods when breastfeeding made the baby more amenable to a variety of solids and made the baby a non fussy eater later on.
On the other hand are mothers who swear their baby caught cold if they ate so much as a spoonful of ice cream! So who can a new mom believe?
Well for the most part you have to make your own prognosis, but if your baby does seem to be affected by what you eat, watch out for these foods:
- Spicy foods are thought to be difficult for baby to digest and may cause vomiting and diarrhea and stomach pain.
- Gas is known to result from foods such as cabbage, broccoli, beans, cauliflower, and other gassy foods.
- It is thought that certain citrus fruits could result in a nappy rash for babies.
- Baby restlessness/ insomnia could result from mother drinking too much caffeine.
- Fried foods, artificial sweeteners are also best to avoid.
- Check any medication you are taking for the possible effect it could have on your baby.