As a new parent it is understandable that one wants to buy all the things that you imagine may be required for a new baby.
Among those things is a changing table, which many take for granted is one of the basics required to furnish the nursery.
Many people find that a changing table is very convenient. However is it really necessary? Does one really need a changing table? Consider these factors:
- There are several other items of furniture that could double up as a changing table, such as the top of a dresser, a high table etc. Or you can always change your baby on the floor or the carpet or on the bed.
- Many experienced parents will tell you that this is a wasted expense and that the money could have been used better for something else.
- Also consider if you will cart your baby back to the nursery each time a nappy change is required.
- Do you have the space to fit in a changing table? You should ideally have enough space around the nursery to move comfortably around.
- When baby starts to roll over, a changing table may get a bit dangerous
- Also consider that a baby outgrows diapers fairly quickly after which a changing table is quite superfluous.